Saturday, December 19, 2015

It's good to be at home at Christmas.

Walking home tonight from the church the sky was big and sparkled with stars and there was a sharp cold in the air and so herself and I dawdled a bit on the way back home.

Home. At Christmas.
It's good to be at home at Christmas.

So this Christmas it will be Lauralea and I here in our home. Just us.

And it'll be fine and we'll have some fun and look out for each other. We'll play with the toys Santa brings us and we'll eat turkey, watch a movie, play a game, and eat till we are stuffed.
It'll be alright.

This is the time of year when the cost of doing the work we do becomes real. I need to say here that its worth the cost and I don't regret it for a moment. But these are the sorts of days when people start traveling home for the holidays, and I wonder just a bit, what life would have been like for us if we had never moved. If we had lived in the same place for years and years, and had a home that the family could consider their old home for years and come home sometimes for Christmas.

I don't waste a lot of time thinking those sorts of thoughts because really that doesn't help at all. But as a dad I guess thats one of those things I'd wish I could have given my family. A sense of place, location, a connection to home that would be there whenever they wanted to come "home."

Hopefully we've given them a sense of independence and maybe the sense that home is where we are. But still, wouldn't it be fun to share some stories with the grandchildren in the yard where their parents used to play?

But as I said, it's good to be home at Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it is good to be home. We are celebrating our first Christmas in our new home. I've had similar thoughts pass through my mind these past few days. Living in a place where it seems that everyone but you were raised there, it makes me long to have those kinds of longstanding stories and places to make memories for my own children. I want that for them, but such is not the life we've apparently chosen. All I can do is make special memories wherever we are and hope that, they too, will treasure them no matter their location. There is some sadness in me, but for now, I know they are happy and that's what counts.

    Many blessings to you and yours this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you know it.
    I've been thinking about you guys this autumn, hoping things are progressing well, trusting that you can find your footing there. Thinking about the adjustments you make, for the kids and husband and even for friends.

    I hope that Herbert Sk. is good to you, and that you know Gods presence in your home and family even as you carve out new family traditions this season. And take time to enjoy your life and kids and family. That is always a worthwhile investment. :)

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.