Friday, September 20, 2013

Victor Papa Eight Lima Papa this is Victor Echo Six Victor Oscar Romeo...

I know I can be a bit of a nerd sometimes but I don't often talk of the pleasure I get from Amateur Radio. It is just such a blast, and many times I need to pinch myself when I remember that I have my license and my station is on the air.

This past week I've been able to talk into Russia and what is referred to as Western Siberia. Now, doing that is exciting enough but last night I got even further.

As I was tuning 20 meters I began to hear a distinct clearly english accented fellow calling CQ and it seemed like all the hams in North America were trying to answer him back. It was quite a pile up.

I listened and finally made out that it was Bob, VP8LP and that he was calling from the Falkland Islands.

So I figured I might as well give him a shout, and I nervously tuned up the wrong antenna. There was such a din of others trying to reach him that I had my doubts.

I called out "VP8LP this is VE6VOR" about three times. And then I heard him call back, "Victor Echo Six, Victor Echo Six come again?"

After that things got really weird because I was so nervous. I called back and he responded. I answered with my name and what I think was my call sign, but honestly I have no clue if I communicated my own call sign.

We exchanged names and signal strength, locations and that was it. We ended the call with 73's.

:)

Crazy how a guy can get so messed up just talking with another guy on the radio.
But it was 7898.4 miles away.
And it was by my own station that I've built.
And it was only a hundred watts of power.
And my signal did somehow push through that pile up and connect.


It just doesn't get much sweeter than that, radio nerd wise anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.