Friday, December 21, 2012

Post-Apocalyptic thoughts and Cider and Cookies

It's the shortest day of the year and at 7:50 am from my office there is no sign of light in the eastern sky, nor is there any sign of apocalypse, as of yet anyway.

I don't think I have time for an apocalypse today anyway. I've been up for a couple of hours already working on Sunday plans and Monday evening service plans because today is busy. In a few minutes I'm off to the hospital for a visit, then on to the city for a funeral for the father of a friend.

By the time I get back, Lauralea will have our yearly Cider and Cookies at the parsonage well underway, and that will go into the evening, so if you are in the area, drop in a bit, 2 pm - 9 pm.


I confess that I'm not too concerned about an apocalypse happening today, not that it couldn't happen today or any day for that matter. But it's more because I have confidence in what God has done for us, through His son Jesus, in loving us and caring for us enough to give us a hope. The God we serve is a great God and is closer to us than we even think.

So my posture for today and most every day is this, from Peter:
The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:7-8
So be encouraged on this darkest day of the year. God has not abandoned us as some might think. Instead it's actually patience that you are seeing:
The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3
Let us not test his patience, instead respond to it as a great gift, and live today like it could be your last day here anyway.


Ah, there comes the sun. I best be off.
Blessings on your day, be it your first or last, or many many in-between.


No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.