Saturday, March 05, 2011

On why I do silly things like this http://www.vimeo.com/20569519

Well it kinda started as a dare I guess...

Then took on a life of it's own, here.

...

I think some spiritual leaders can act like they have a pole stuck up their whatsit and that effectivly cuts off any healthy communication with people. Image for some is more important than life and relationship. Young people especially value integrity and honesty in life.

....

Life can be fun. There are things to celebrate and we can do things that indicate the joy with which we should approach those moments of celebration. This may not be one of those celebratory moments, but it sure was fun.

....

Shocking the kids. Isn't it fun to blow a paradigm?
I wonder how I might have reacted if it had been my dad doing something like this. But then too I would have taken it as a real example to live life to the full. Besides which, my dad did a couple of kid like things that gave him joy but I never could relate to.

....

Sometimes I take myself way too seriously.
I have a sense of humor that doesn't always know where it fits into this calling of mine. I get confused then, and always usually act on the safe side.

My uncle Marvin had that going for him too. Here is a video they played at his funeral. A man of God who cared for and served thousands of people, in the name of Christ. But he had a sense of humor that just never quit. (Yes the "woman" in drag was him)

.....

I am kinda surprised at the response in the community. Last night at the local country school fundraiser, people I never knew were walking up to me and talking like I was an old buddy from out of town. That was very interesting. Instant conversations.

There also seems to be a new sense of, a sort of respect out there. Especially from the younger people who are on facebook. The older people are not so much on Facebook so I'm not hearing that much from them.

And strangely enough, I got a few "I want to go to your church" comments last night.

I don't know if it's the childish nature of what I did that can cause people to relax and be themselves around such a fellow, or if The Church has grown to value such image sensitive, always the same face on, kinds of leaders.


It is a bit confusing, but I'm glad that for 20 minutes last Thursday I chose to have fun.

I still smile when I watch it.

5 comments:

  1. That was a perfect ending to a more than full day of studying. Thank you. You may have saved my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think some spiritual leaders can act like they have a pole stuck up their whatsit and that effectivly cuts off any healthy communication with people."

    Guess it depends what one talks through.

    ;-)

    I need to go see the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness! This is awesome, Randall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.