Thursday, June 17, 2010

Interesting what lurks inside

Earlier this spring when I was off to the Edmonton International Airport to pick up someone or another, as I was walking alone on the enclosed walkway from the parking area to the terminal, I suddenly stopped short and looked out the windows at the airport. It felt a little queasy as I tried to reconcile my present reality to whatever was going on inside me.

Finally it dawned on me that the view of the airport was so much like the Glasgow Airport, which we flew into and out of during the time of the attack on the airport there in 2007.

So the other day when we were taking Johanna to the airport, I snapped a picture with my phone, and though I didn't get the right angle, the two airports are quite similar.

Glasgow Airport
Here is Glasgow just after the attack.

Edmonton International Airport

And here is Edmonton.

Lauralea noticed it too and commented on the security official standing beneath where we were taking the picture.

Back in Glasgow they had security police all over the place as well, except they all were well supplied with very large black guns.


Shudder.

8 comments:

  1. And there I was last night looking up Glasgow Airport for a trip later on in the year. If only I'd realised I could have come here for info ! Perhaps you could give some advice on airport hotels too..

    Hopefully when I fly the guns won't be as much in evidence as 3 years ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I can help you with that.

    http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Glasgow

    Seems to be a good source of options, and according to my world traveler daughter, a trustworthy organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should you be adding a global travel advice page to your internet empire ? Know any good hostels in the Wetaskiwin area ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I know of a good, clean, and free* to you place but it's more in a field than in Wetaskiwin.




    *Unless you're a big drinker and eat more than Micah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...Might've been Hostelz.com

    Nate did the booking; he has the login and such, so he'd know for sure. We both looked at them and decided where to go, but he had the credit card at the time, so he took care of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, I just tracked it down, it WAS Hostelworld.

    But Hostelz.com has some good reviews you can check out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johanna - thanks for the travel tips, v useful
    Randall - have noted the house rules for the hostel you recommend + advice about how to interpret Ca postal addresses. Enjoy the football.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think its interesting that things we don't think effect us come up down the road and stop us short, and we are left breathless wondering what is going on and why we feel that way, only to realize that that thing really did impact us in some way.

    and for those of us who think nothing impacts us (read me), it's taken many breathless moments to stop and realize that we are human, and things will effect us, and we do need to pause and process things when they happen so that later on in life there are less short stops and breathless moments.

    just a thought anyways.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.