Friday, July 10, 2009

It's Friday already

and it's been a full week. Today will be no different as later on in the afternoon we are headed out with a large group from church who goes to a neighbouring city for a concert tonight.

I'm doing some final work on the plans for Sunday and as the day draws near I confess some hesitation. Every second call these days is a call to let us know that people won't be in church on Sunday. Early morning commitments, holidays, family celebrations, etc, etc. are leaving me with a sense that Sunday morning will be a very small gathering of us.

That's one of the things about being a pastor I suppose. You don't work any less hard for a Sunday if it's going to be 5 people or if its going to be 500. You hope for the greater so that what you have to share has a better chance of reaching a need, and if you have a hundred people, you have a better chance of connecting with someone than if you have five. That's just the odds.

But often God's economy is different and he does what he will do. On any given Sunday.

I think the only frustration that comes occasionally is if you are teaching through a series and trying to get a large group of people on the same page. What ends up happening is that you need to repeat yourself for those who may have missed weeks. Then those who have been there more often keep hearing the same things over and over. That's probably why summer is considered not prime series preaching time by many pastors.

This Sunday we are going to focus a bit on listening to one another, and our world, and to God.

If you're in the area and want to drop by, then do.

Oh and this Sunday remember there is a lunch afterward. To help celebrate a wedding.

3 comments:

  1. As much as I'd love to stop by and be with you and worship and have lunch, I have my own seemingly smaller than normal group to prepare for.

    The hardest part for me, as the "new" guy is figuring where people are at, are they coming and going because of commitments, or are they coming and going because they aren't sure they fit in our community or whether they can connect with the new guy up front and what's going on...

    May you find blessings and quiet contentment in whatever comes this weekend with your community of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like summer holidays, but regret when we miss a sermon from a series because of them and podcasts just aren't the same. I like series the best because of the continuity and the way each week builds on the last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of these Sundays, I'll drop by.

    I suspect a lot of your real work isn't really done on a Sunday, even though it is sort of the peak of public activity.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.