Sunday, March 01, 2009

Thoughts on a Sunday night

Church

was good this morning. So much progress is being made here that it gives me great encouragement. God was in the space this morning in powerful ways that give people hope and healing. We need to continue to live out of that vulnerable place of our need and God's provision for us, and as we do that we will have something to say to a world that has deep needs too.

It was good.

*******



The kids

are home for reading week.
I know I might not have mentioned it yet, mostly because life is busy and things continue to roll on out here in The field.
So they are home, doing their laundry, catching up on sleep, trying to discern their futures. You know, classic young adult stuff. And tonight Hillary produced a movie she likes called Stardust and she wanted us all to watch it. I've been dubious of her movie choices in the past ("Ooooh the movie Saved is awesome! Let's all watch it!") so I was doubtful. However I was wrong, Stardust was a fun movie, possibly even better than Princess Bride.

Wednesday Hillary heads back and later on this week Thomas heads back.

********



Family.

You stand with your family in spite of their choices, especially through seasons of loss. You don't condemn, you don't judge, you don't use words that accuse or question. Instead you support and love and care about them.

We'll be heading to a funeral for a seven week old nephew this week. So many questions, so much opportunity to care.

********



The Field.

I talked this morning with a visitor to church for whom it took nearly two years to get used to their new town. That echoed the words of a pastor I recently spoke with who told me the same thing, that it took them two years to find themselves at home in their new city.

That makes a part of me sigh so deeply. It seems like such a long time to go before it finally feels like home. Another part of me feels good about that because it allows me to relax a bit, knowing that as good as this place is and as much progress as we are making at work, the reality is that it just isn't home yet.

Actually, in terms of feeling at home and belonging and having a shared history, dang this is just really hard some days. We don't talk much of it publicly in spaces like this, because it doesn't help, and people are well meaning. But some days it's so hard.

Some days it gets big and overwhelming, and it's just like the huge elephant in the room that you try to live around. You don't want it to define you so you try to carry on, occasionally ignoring it hoping it will get easier. Then you wake up the next morning and the elephant is still there.

Enough said.

*********



Some of my thoughts on a Sunday night.
Best I get to bed. It's going to be a busy week.

Night.

5 comments:

  1. My sense is that because everyone and every place are so different that it takes different lengths of time to get used to places. For some people it is two years -- others considerably less -- others never make the adjustment. There is no formula. But my sense is also that people tend to feel more isolated and uneasy in the winter months. As the days grow longer and as green reappears so does optimism about life -- and with that people become more outgoing -- and they start looking for opportunities to bond. This is also the reason people are more open to romance in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Randall.
    I know that when I moved to Montreal from Florida it took me two years to find my footing and to begin to know where my allegiance lay. Getting used to a new place takes time.

    It may be difficult to sort out the field from where you were in Sask. At least you are near a big city so you don't loose that big city mentality. Prairie people are different from big city people. I know I did not do well when I lived in the middle of a big field. That did not work so well for me.

    One day at a time. You will find your way. Would would Henri say about this - if he were speaking to you now? I think he would touch on solitude and say that a little solitude never hurt anyone. Live your way into it. You have that great big field to wander in. All we have here is a lot of concrete.

    I missed hearing your sermon this week.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This thought came to mind as I was writing on my blog. It came from a very wise man who was my mentor when I went through my crisis of identity and locale. He said "If you don't know where you are going, or where you are, sit down here where you are and get a feeling of your surroundings. Get to know where you are. Get in touch with your feelings and your desires. And when you are comfortable take up your map and consult it. Then when you have surveyed all that surrounds you get up and start walking."

    That's what I did. It was the best advice I had ever gotten.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys, you both speak truth.

    Brad, I've been thinking of you guys lately, moving to Arizona and taking up the work again. Another transition. I'm glad you will be in a place that will encourage your Citrus passion.

    :)

    Good you're not planting a church in Minneapolis.


    Jeremy, good word. I've been doing that and it's been very helpful for me.

    As for the sermon, I've been working on an idea for that, trying to find another way to record the service which allows a bit of context to the audio. I've struck out with recording plan one and two, so I'm on to plan three.

    So, I'm working on it, to be sure.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ACK!! Better than the Princess Bride? Say it ain't so??? :oO

    And a thought occured to me the other day while thinking about "home". When I was away in Regina for a few days awhile back I really wanted to get "home" and not so much this space here in Wetaskiwin, but back to Steve. So as far as I'm concerned home IS where the heart is, which is a good thing 'cos in this line of work, I have the feeling we'll be moving around alot! :)

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.