Monday, September 01, 2008

A Canadian Political Question here

I seem to recall that the ruling Conservative party brought in legislation that an election had to be held on a certain, predesignated day down the road in a few years.  And that it was made illegal to simply call an election whenever the ruling party wanted.

With all this talk of a looming election, IĆ¢€™ve been wondering how this can be accomplished, if its now against present legislation to call an election, or to cause your own government to fall.

Any ideas out there?

1 comment:

  1. Steven Harper has commented that the election date law pertains only to a majority government and that a minority government can call for an election at any point. That's what he's commented. Whether that holds up with the legislation that was passed, I'm not sure....

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.