Saturday, March 15, 2008

I need rescuing




Tomorrow, Palm Sunday, I am going to talk about Shepherds.

I know it's not Advent, but for me the cradle and the cross are intertwined.

 

One day Jesus told a story to reveal what his father is like.

A shepherd had one hundred sheep in his care and during the course of the days labors he lost one.

Tired, hungry, thirsty and desiring to be with his family, he nevertheless began to retrace the many and difficult steps of the days journey. He finally found the kid which had strayed off and become frightened.

Then he tenderly and joyfully put it on his own shoulders, returned home, and gave a little party to celebrate finding the lost sheep.

Then Jesus made the point: God is like that Shepherd. He wants us all safely in the fold. He has gone on a long search. And he rejoices when one person is found.

That is the meaning of Christmas and Easter. That baby in the manger, and man on the cross, is God looking for you.

The father rescuing his babies.

 

 

 

 

Â

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, Randall. I knew God calling me to be closer to him through that story, and it is one I need to remember more and more as the years go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite Christmas songs is sort of like that... Not so much about Christmas as it is about the Shepherd... (But actually somehow more about the real meaning of Christmas than many other traditional Christmas songs.)

    "Are you far away from home
    This dark and lonely night?
    Tell me what best would help to ease your mind...
    Someone to give direction for this unfamiliar road,
    Or one who says follow me and I will lead you home?"

    Every Christmas I listen to that song and think about the times I've been lost... Literally lost, and wishing that I could find someone to follow who knew the way to where I need to go, but having to settle for directions from some gas station attendant. And then I think about a tiny baby coming to Earth so I could have someone to follow to safety, not just directions from a "far away" and invisible God, but someone who came so I could follow.

    I love that story of the Shepherd carrying the sheep home though. This Easter that's what I'll think about... Not just a shepherd for me to follow, but one who laid down his life so that when I am lost and hurting He can carry me, by the power of His blood shed for me, to safety.

    Thanks Randall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beck for that imagery.

    Blessings on you and your household this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if I had known in advance, I would have shipped all my sheep up for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.