Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Happy Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Day, or Mardi Gras, or TÅ‚usty Czwartek, or Fasnacht Day, or Chandeleur, or just plain Tuesday

The reason that pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent is that the 40 days of Lent form a period of liturgical fasting, during which only the plainest foodstuffs may be eaten. Therefore, rich ingredients such as eggs, milk, and sugar are disposed of immediately prior to the commencement of the fast. Pancakes and doughnuts were therefore an efficient way of using up these perishable goods, besides providing a minor celebratory feast prior to the fast itself via.


I think we are having Crepes for supper.

I'm hungry already.

5 comments:

  1. Yum, I'm at work and reading this, well now my stomach craves pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a nice Crepe, I love waffles but I am not real fond of the plain old pancake. Too many "mens breakfasts"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buckwheat pancakes, strawberry ice-cream and maple syrup. Worth bending the diet for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Randall
    As Lent begins I invite you to pray with us, I will be posting your Celtic meditation in the coming days as part of our Lenten observance. Know you and yours are in our prayers...

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made crepes...they were good. and turned out very well for my first time making them with an eyeball to measure and a frying pan to cook them.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.