Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What to do

It was every subway rider"s nightmare, times two.

Who has ridden along New York"s 656 miles of subway lines and not wondered: “What if I fell to the tracks as a train came in? What would I do?”?

And who has not thought: “What if someone else fell? Would I jump to the rescue?”?

...Mr. Autrey was waiting for the downtown local at 137th Street and Broadway in Manhattan around 12:45 p.m. He was taking his two daughters, Syshe, 4, and Shuqui, 6, home before work.

Nearby, a man collapsed, his body convulsing. Mr. Autrey and two women rushed to help, he said. The man, Cameron Hollopeter, 20, managed to get up, but then stumbled to the platform edge and fell to the tracks, between the two rails.

The headlights of the No. 1 train appeared. “I had to make a split decision,”? Mr. Autrey said.

So he made one, and leapt.

Yeah, I've stood there and thought the same things. What would I do.

Given the amount of unhappy endings these stories usually have, here's one with a happy ending.

3 comments:

  1. With so many news stories about hatred and fighting, it's good to see stories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm. it's strange that there's that much room between the bottom of the tracks and the train, enough for two men... when in montreal i took the subway often and it never seemed like there was that much room.

    also, isn't one of the rails electrified? it seems like a miracle on it's own that the first man missed it entirely.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.