Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Some things never change.

It is unfortunate that as you grow older, some things refuse to change. Here I sit with most of the class assignments from my summer week intensive still to be completed! All this work, and my next course begins next week. Sheesh.

My one main excuse has been that I really have had no place to do the homework. When I do it at the office, I usually end up answering phones, or visiting with nice, well meaning people who drop by for a chat. If I do it at the city library, whenever I need to take a break because nature calls, I must pack up all my belongings, including the laptop, and take it all with me. The sign make it very clear, they are not responsible for theft of personal items.

There is much traffic in the kitchen when I try there, and the big chair in the living room, where I have done my work to date, just doesn't work. Balancing the computer on my lap, reading and resourcing two books at a time, well, you get the picture.

So, with the goal in mind of creating a quiet semi-private space to work in, I took to Hillary's bedroom to fix it up to use. Let me tell you, allot of living was done in the past 8 years in this room. I scraped, de-molded, washed, rinsed, de-taped, de-stickytaced, filled holes, sanded, primed and painted the space. I have been at it hard and heavy, and tonight it is finished.

I moved a small table in, beneath the window, on which I put the notebook. I got an old chair to sit on, and as I type, I'm looking out into the dark, quiet back yard.

It's beautiful.

Occasionally a breeze will flow through the window, and a huge moon can be seen clearly (I also cleaned the windows!), moving though the tree tops. It's a very inspiring place and I hope that helps, because honesty, I need all the inspiration I can get.

So, even as I christen this space with this first post, I also realize that I'm out of excuses, and I need to get the homework done, now.

Sigh. "I hate homework. Why do I always have homework."

Nope. Some things just refuse to change.



UPDATE: For Johanna and any others who wish, here are a few pics of the room, after all the work!!

9 comments:

  1. You should upload a picture...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeedy.

    Seems funny that you're up at the same time as us, Johanna.

    But yes, my sympathies over homework. Some people love to study, me included, but when there's a need to produce PROOF of what we've studied then that really damps enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to take a picture of that lovely moon last night with my old Pentax (or however you spell it). So awfully huge as it rose over the south east and a soft shade of orange and all the craters so visible. I felt puny and insignificant as I gazed. "What is man that thou are mindful of him" came to mind. I'm sure if you stay at that window your words will begin to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at orientation last week and it's surprising how all those old feelings come back. I greatly dislike being talked to like I'm six years old. All of us were over 25 and still it's like that. Oh well, the rest of it looks like fun. I don't envy your homework. That would be tough to fit into your schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at the instructions for the next part of the class and was a bit overwhelmed myself. It just seems like so much busyness has taken over and then there is this stuff I have committed to doing that I want to do but....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with TONI that I love learning but prefer applied proof that I've increased my knowledge and I agree with SHARONK about the moon. Ironically I'm studying a digital photgraphy book and I've finally figured out the appropriate manual settings to take a proper picture of the moon. It was gorgeous last night and tonight is the actual full moon.

    The fresh breeze out there last night was refreshing and warm and enjoyed in these fading days of summer. Randall, I hope you can complete your homework with the degree of quality you want in the time you have without too many of those loud sighs I remember making in my formal education years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look out Extreme Makeover Home edition!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess education in spiritual formation results in a lot of physical formation (resulting in those superb biceps I imagine are forming)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate homework too. Why do we wait until the last minute? If you're like me, you delay starting, you dread starting, but once you finally get into it... you enjoy it. What's with that?

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.