Friday, August 25, 2006

As long as we are kicking planets out of the Solar System, why don't we do something about Uranus?

I mean, come on, how embarrassing a name can a planet have? And how many jokes have been told at it's expense?

And look at how easy it is to make it the butt of a good joke. I made one there and see, easy peasy.

Now, what they should have done is taken the now available as a planet title, Pluto, and moved that name over to Uranus. Disney might want to be involved in product placement advertising there. Maybe we could squeeze a little cash out of them, you know, to cover the cost of changing all the signage etc.

Or, if we wanted to change the name to "Uranus-Pluto" they might be more motivated to help us pay for the whole changeover.

Either way its a win win situation. No longer will third grade teachers have to stand in front of their classes and listen to the snickers and murmuring when they introduce the class to our Solar System. And Disney won't loose the planetary name of their favourite dog.

Anyway you look at it, you gotta feel for poor Pluto. That's a serious demotion there. Not easy to bounce back from.

It was a name that became associated with a loveable cartoon dog. Not a chocolate bar, a car, or a laughable body part.

Lets run Uranus up the flag pole and see who prefers that name to the kinder, gentler Pluto. See who salutes.

7 comments:

  1. Well, as a person who habitually cheers for the under dog... I must say that I have a fellow feeling for this now dwarf planet. Pluto is officially my new favourite non-planet. We...Wee... Little Ones of the Universe must stand together, united! Send Pluto a card, it's probably a little under the weather, if not positively depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Lets run Uranus up the flag pole and see who prefers that name to the kinder, gentler Pluto. See who salutes."

    Sir, I must disagree, and I therefore salute Uranus. If every little ball got uppity ideas, spinning away at the edges of the solar system, where would our science fiction writers be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    So MANY good jokes, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, well, next time your family MSN's together perhaps you can talk about Uranus - only if you agree, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys should get your minds out of the gutter for once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're absolutely right, Betty. I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I don't think my mind was in the gutter Betty. I'm sorry you think it was, and that you seem to think it always is in the gutter as referenced by your' "For once."

    I think that people live at different places and different contexts. Thus they use different words and pictures and stories in their lives.

    Again, sorry you think its gutter material.

    I didn't think it was that bad.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.