Thursday, June 15, 2006

Radio 2006

I"m sitting here in my living room just listening to the radio. I tuned in 70's on Seven and the Doobie Brothers/ Listen to the Music is cranking out loud. I"ve been doing this late in the evenings for the past week, right here in Prince Albert. Over a hundred channels of radio, hitting my house.

Yep. Satellite Radio.

Now, you gotta know that I am a radio freq from way back. Ever since I earned that small transistor radio from my folks for keeping my room clean for a week... but that"s another post.

Moving to Prince Albert meant six radio stations to choose from and one was french, two were top forty, one talk, one country and one CBC. My radio style was getting cramped.

We used the computer as a radio receiver and rebroadcast the signal throughout the yard and house, except when the computer link would drop or offer very poor quality.

I became aware of Satellite radio quite a few year ago, but it was available only in the states. I was tempted to get a grey market system and run it up here, but I didn"t bother.

Then it came to Canada earlier this year, and Lauralea started encouraging me to check it out again.

Na, costs, etc, bla bla bla.

Finally last week we stepped up, and wow baby...

I usually use the TV as a distraction or to chill down by, but apart from a hockey game or two, I"m forgetting TV altogether. I"ve been listening to the radio again, like the old days. And I"m loving it.

All kinds of types of music, which is just the kind I like. And talk radio and news and comedy and sports. All the NFL games and now all the CFL games too. Old Time radio shows, Discovery Radio, Disney radio, CNN, CNBC, BBC, NPR, Public radio, Christian radio, Broadway tunes, Rat Pack tunes, Classical Music, Country, Jazz till the cows come home, CBC 3, BBC 1, and on and on. It"s a radio guy"s dream come true.

Now I know not everybody will understand this, but for people who enjoy good radio, (drool drool) she is a sweet deal.

And the radios now. Amazing. And on sale. The one we got can be used in the home or car. It transmits a solid signal on any FM frequency you want, so I can listen anywhere in the house and yard. It constantly is recording so I can pause it and go back to it and pick up where it left off. I can also go back for the past 45 minutes and listen to any or all of the songs already played. Tivo for Radio. S W E E T.
It also always displays the song and group being played, and includes a full feature remote control. My new hobby is to chill on the couch, with the remote and listen to a good song, while scanning the other channels for the next cool tune.

Radio Heaven.

I gotta go. Tonight I"m going to sleep listening to the old Jack Benny radio show.

Nite.


1 comment:

  1. Trev's Christmas present was the exact radio and he has bought a hook up so he can take it out the mine site when we move. And I did tell him that Prince Albert isn't much better than YK for radio stations. We have one top forty, CBC and an aboriginal.

    You forgot to mention that you can program it to alert you when one of your favorite songs comes on a different station. I think Trev likes that feature most.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.