Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Light

Well, it"s a few moments after 6 am and I am at the office waiting for those who will pray with me.

Most of the year we meet in darkness to pray an wait on God, but spring and summer mean it is light out as we move towards the church for our 6:30 appointment.

This makes a radical difference in peoples moods and even their attendance.

Each week we gather and it"s something like a “Light Watch”? as we progress through the winter. It"s dark each week, and we long for the season of light. Then week by week it gets a little brighter out, till the day arrives that it"s light out before we even get out of bed at 5:30.

Today I realized it"s Summer Solstice - the longest day of the year.

It means that this is the day that produces the most light for us out of the whole year. That means that the sun was up with the birds today, long before I awoke.

But it also means that the sun will now start taking longer and longer to get up in the morning. It means that after this day it starts getting darker and darker again.

I always thought this was a gype, just as summer was getting going, the days get shorter again.

Still the rhythms of life and the rhythms of prayer continue around us, and in us.

Seasons of life. Always different seasons of life to travel through.

I guess we will attempt to take the warm, light filled seasons while they are upon us. Lord knows there are often too many cold dark days to struggle through.

Have a nice Summer Solstice.

:)



3 comments:

  1. I like the thought of the early morning prayer slot, Randall, I hope you remember us all in blogosphere. By the way, it is only 8degrees C here today, windy, and is chucking it down with rain in the way it only can in Argyll in mid-summer. My happy solstice is as I wander the web!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 degrees is enough to remember you in prayer!!

    Have a good one Freda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Randall, I admire your dedication to early mornings - I am not awake in mind until at 11am.

    As for weather here (down-under), it is 18degrees C here today with rain - but that is lots warmer than it has been in 2 weeks.

    Hopefully it gets warmer soon, I can't wait for summer!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.