Monday, May 08, 2006

Feels like so many changes happening these days.

Johanna´s small group was in church last night and Lauralea and I hosted the three girls in the group. It was fun, and good. Having the house full of people for a night was good, especially when it´s the whole family again.

But of course it means she´s probably not going to be coming back here to live.

Somewhere last weekend that thought began to sink in. Probably hit the most when I hugged her goodbye. After commencement and an afternoon at Chapters and late supper, Sunday night we packed up the van with her belongings, and we hugged our goodbyes.

In the brief moment in which I held her, she grew up. From the baby, toddler, girl, to the young lady, teen, woman. All the images pushed before my eyes, and I knew she was separate now. Free to live her life, pursue her dreams, walk with God. But not with us any longer.

And, that´s how it´s suppose to be, I guess.

For some, that separation comes too early, suddenly and much too completely. And it isn´t fair, and it hurts.
For us, we are blessed with a long farewell.
And though it may sometimes be bittersweet, it is mostly sweet.

And I am thinking these days of our family, and of other families, who have seen the separation come too early and suddenly.

May God be with us all.

5 comments:

  1. It was good to see her and hear her song and share a bit of her creativity. I think you can be very proud of her. You haven't completely botched the job of being a father! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, the first group song was her song too. We are VERY proud of her. We think she's done a pretty good job of being a daughter too.



    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flamenco/gypsy number was hers, too? Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like she's reflecting you guys well.



    Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Our" girl did well. I know God will use those talents and gifts in the years ahead - all to his glory - like he did Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.