Saturday, April 01, 2006

Nouwen on The Beauty of Shyness

"There is something beautiful about shyness, even though in our culture shyness is not considered a virtue. On the contrary, we are encouraged to be direct, look people straight in the eyes, tell them what is on our minds, and share our stories without a blush.But this unflinching soul-baring, confessional attitude quickly becomes boring. It is like trees without shadows. Shy people have long shadows, where they keep much of their beauty hidden from intruders' eyes. Shy people remind us of the mystery of life that cannot be simply explained or expressed. They invite us to reverent and respectful friendships and to a wordless being together in love."

Henri Nouwen

5 comments:

  1. I suspect shyness is appealing because it produces mystery and makes us think we're missing something. There is little that makes the heart grow warm with avarice like the idea there is something available and that we don't have it.



    Now modesty IS beautiful IMO. Could this be what Nouwen meant?

    ReplyDelete

  2. I suspect so. Our culture is so forceful and "Strong." Anything that implies weakness is seen as failure and second rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shyness, if you are "blessed" with it does not seem like a gift. It makes you awkward in situations where you wish you had words. It makes you blush for the simple reason that you are being spoken to. Shyness is often assosciated with timidity, embarassment, and self doubt.



    I don't know that modesty could be taken as the equivalent of shyness. I think a gregarious person could be modest but not at all shy. However, there is a quietness of spirit that comes from being a normally shy person who accepts the fact that they are OK as they are.



    Still working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If shyness = beauty, I am one very ugly woman. ;)



    Great quote with lots to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had to "work on" not being shy. It is in my nature to not speak with folks (and I know some people would laugh at that comment). My mother saw fit to make sure I would "overcome" this trait and insisted on my working during summers grades 9-12. It worked.....somewhat.



    I continue to be very uncomfortable around people I don't know well and have to trust the Lord for his graciousness in my dealing with newcomers. I do think I have a bit of both types of personalities in me - some introvert and some extrovert. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.