Wednesday, April 19, 2006

At Annual meeting - Strathmore

I hate this.
I try to stay at peoples homes when I am traveling on behalf of the church, to help save some money. And so you submit yourself, with some risk, to the unknown. Where will you be billeted? And will you be able to get to the meeting location from the house. How easily?

Usually the people are good people, and they are not the problem. In fact I don´t really recall a bad billeting experience in previous years.

But location, well that´s a different problem.

And so here I sit again, out in the country, in a nice home with good people, but still out of walking range of my meetings.

Sigh.

Tomorrow I think I will see if there are any cheap cars to be rented in this town. I need to get to a few meetings in different places, and connect with people. And to do my work, I will need a car, I guess.

It´s always a bit of a risk, but if I can find a car for cheap, It will make the weekend much more profitable.


The other thing I hate? Is the mood at the College.

I had supper with my daughter Johanna today, and it´s one more week till Commencement and the students head off in scattered directions.

It´s getting weird, lonely, empty. Abandonment seems the only way to describe it.

I remember that same feeling from my days in College. I was always on a tour group, and stayed behind while the others headed off towards home. It was always a very empty hopeless feeling. I hated that then. And that same feeling floods me as I walk the halls.

There is nothing quite as empty and lonely as a college campus after the kids leave.

Friends go, connections are cut, shared experiences and stories just sit there with no one to remember them with.

I hate that feeling. It´s so empty, so lost.

And I guess it brings up feelings about her going overseas for a year.
This year has been good in that I have had to be in Strathmore where the college is located, more times than normal (I´m on the Covenant Bible College Board). So even though she has moved 7 hours away, I´ve been able to see her often enough.

But next year, going overseas, and not seeing her for a year... well I don´t look forward to that at all. At all.

She will do well at it, and it will be amazing for her, but...

Yeah. This conversation goes nowhere helpful.

Wish I could go to bed already but it´s only 8:16 in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.