Thursday, March 09, 2006

Working Smarter

Printing is underrated

So, today I finally got the church network setup.

Finally.

Been waiting for this day for, oh, too many years.

Somewhere along the way computers became important to the effective operation of an office. We at church have struggled to keep up.

I brought in my own computer, but the ancient computer in the outer office, which had a printer on it, didn´t run the same wordprocessor. It had an ancient copy of Office installed on it, and I use WordPerfect.

So, I would write something, email it to myself at home, go home, print it off, and take it back to work. Of course I would try to do it along with other errands, just to not waste the gas, but you know. That was a sweet pain.

A few weeks ago, a couple of people from the church heard what was going on, so they showed up with some serious cash, for office equipment.

Christmas came early.

I´d been thinking about this day for a few years and I knew just what to get. We got three desktops, a wifi router, and a color, network-able, LaserJet printer. Can you say Sweet? I knew you could.

I remember when I used to get a 1200 baud modem installed with the right IRQ settings and it would take a week to fight and win. Well today I got the three computers set up and running with OpenOffice, FireFox, AVG, Picassa, The Sword (Bible software), and a few other things.

Then I set up the router, bing bang boom, networked in the printer, and within a few hours we were good to go. No conflicts, no IRQ stories, no nothing except a networked system all ready to go.

Now, I can print stuff from anywhere on the church yard, if I need to. Anywhere.

That´s just coolness.

So welcome to the nineties church staff. And may your printer live long and prosper.

4 comments:

  1. Now that that's all set up, does that mean that I can come and organize the office? (Please?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean that now I can email YOU Sunday School stuff from home and you can print it off... or COULD YOU JUST BUY SOME PRINTER INK FOR ME AT HOME ALREADY!!!



    Sorry, was I yelling? No, I'm sure I wasn't. Really. I'm fine.



    Deep cleansing breaths...



    where's my tea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a multi-faceted man of many talents ... not only a dynamic preacher and a sensitive spiritual counsellor, but also a techie nerd. Welcome to the nineties indeed.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.