Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Staying abo v e w a t e r

Feels like this week may be catching up on me.

I misplaced a note that indicated that I am to hold a service at a care home tomorrow, and I have no musician as of yet. Yikes.

Tomorrow I also need to run some errands for the church, and pick up some office supplies that are on sale, sale ending tomorrow. Always watching for a deal.

I'm on call chaplain this week and I was called into the hospital tonight. An elderly lady won't make it through the night. She has no church connection, but for reasons hidden deep within the human psyche, it was important to have a minister come by and say a prayer. This always seems a little bizarre to me. One lives all their life without interest or desire for church or God, then at the end they want to bring Him in like a safety net.

Anyway, I may be asked to do that funeral this week too, which is where I was at, saying this week may be catching up on me.

I should probably start by getting myself into bed. Tomorrow is only 6 hours away.

3 comments:

  1. Sadder to me is the person who doesn't want to bring God into their lives at the end. Then it becomes a case of trying to comfort them by saying they will live on in people's memories and hearts. Come to think of it, this is another language for something that sounds remarkably like salvation isn't it?

    FREDA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly.



    What the story didn't make clear was that she was already in an unconcious state. It was her children who wanted to get her a pastor. Usually in that place i seek to care for those in the room.



    ReplyDelete
  3. Thing about it is, that maybe she didn't want a pastor, priest, or minister to pray for her. She didn't decide that she wanted prayer, her kids did. I don't know why they requested prayer. I guess it's one of those things we have to come to terms with.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.