Monday, February 27, 2006

a Prayer at the end of the day

It's a cold one out there tonight boys and girls. The temperature shows only -13C, but the wind and snow is blowing right through you. And I'm warm here at my table. I set up a small table in Johanna's old room, right in front of the window, so i can look out at the cold and blowing snow, all the while my feet are on a hot air vent. So, I'm nice and warm.

I haven't been talking much lately, for a few reasons I suppose. I've been learning again how a home changes as the kids get older. It's not so much a place for one or two people any more, but a place for three or four or, even six. That dynamic can be difficult to process sometimes. It's been that around here lately. It wears me out.

Lauralea's been going to bed earlier these days, mostly for her health. It's a good thing, and she really has to do it. But I'm having trouble getting the days completed before 10.

For me, there is a sense in which I need to slow down, find the quiet, and start the shut down. I find I also need the house to quiet down too, so I prefer if the kids are in their rooms, at least doing quiet things, by 11. Often, of late, they haven't been.

Probably just a weariness, maybe a low grade depression I'm unwilling to face, I dunno. But more and more I'm seeking the quiet, the silence. And more and more it's taking more and more to get restored.

I fly out tomorrow for some meetings for two days, and I was planning to drive to the airport in Saskatoon, but the forecast is for lots of blowing snow and wind. Maybe I'll just hop a bus, get some reports done while I ride. It takes twice as long as a driving the car, which kills me, but maybe the forced slowdown will be ok.

The meetings will be tough. But around late last week there was a peace that settled on my heart. Peace about things I needed to see peace about. This peace will help us know direction in our work. Even though it's difficult work we will be involved in, the Peace makes it clear that all things will work together for good. I'm trusting that.

And now, it's time for bed.

Pray with me, won't you?

Now, Master, you let your servant go in peace.
You have fulfilled your promise.
My own eyes have seen your salvation,
which you have prepared in the sight of all peoples.
A light to bring the Gentiles from darkness;
the glory of your people Israel.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.

Keep us safe, Lord, while we are awake, and guard us as we sleep, so that we can keep watch with Christ and rest in peace. Alleluia.

Give our bodies rest, Lord, to restore them; and let the seeds sown by our labours today grow and yield an eternal harvest.
Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

May the almighty Lord grant us a quiet night and a perfect end.

Amen


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the prayers.



    Safe travels - no matter how you go.



    Slowing down and having to slow down can be a difficult adjustment

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope the blowing snow is done! But if you are taking the bus and you can so some quiet stuff while on it, then God go with you and grant you peace for the journey. And may that peace settle on you and go with you through those very difficult meetings and travel back with you as you return. I will be praying for you; we will be praying for you and everyone at CBC at Gatecrashers Wed. am.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hey, thanks you guys.



    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.