Tuesday, December 06, 2005

...remember those in prison.

I have talked in the past about different ways Iraq could have been dealt with, especially by the North American church. I still believe there are things we need to be doing there, in terms of compassion and even just being present with the Iraqi people. Well, some of the Church is there, trying to speak to justice issues and even simply being present, caring for the Iraqi people.


This kind of work often costs a lot.


Harmeet Sooden, James Loney, Norman Kemper and Tom Fox, have been doing this kind of work in Iraq with a group called Christian Peacemaker Teams. They search out practical avenues of violence reduction and document human rights abuses in the midst of the world's trouble spots.


These four men were abducted November 26 and are being threatened with death. Their abductors have threatened to execute these men on Thursday, December 8, if their demands of widespread prisoner release isn't met.


So today many of us are gathering all over the world to do our best for them. We are gathering for a time of fasting and prayer.


I'd invite you to take some time out of your busy lives today and pray or offer up some positive vibes. Maybe skip a meal remembering the great cost these men are willing to pay.



"I command you to love each other in the same way that I love you. And here is how to measure it--the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends. You are my friends if you obey me." -Jesus


You can change the shape of a nation by war, but you must change the spirit of a nation through love.

1 comment:

  1. Their deadline has apparently been extended to Saturday, which I suppose is a good thing in a number of ways...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.