Sunday, August 21, 2005

You bring Christ to me

I think it would be fair to call me more of an introvert than an extrovert. I mean I enjoy eating by myself and I don't mind going to a movie by myself at all. I am ok company.

That's how I'm made, but it can also be trouble because I need friends.

Yesterday Lauralea and I went to Saskatoon to do some school clothes shopping and hanging with my mom and dad. But we also had another agenda, we wanted to visit some friends.

We met some new friends in Christy and Colin. Christy is someone I've known online for a while now, and I wanted to put a face to the name and writing. So we made contact with her. She and Colin were as willing to meet us as we were with them, and they were wonderful hosts.

We easily lost an hour visiting and talking and drinking good coffee (and eating awesome cake -that boy can cook!) They really are good people. I hope we will get more opportunities to know them better.

Later on in the day we spent about one minute at Leighton and Carol's house. I had to drop off some papers for them. It was amazing seeing them in their new environment that of a married couple. The place was positively glowing and the starstruck looks on their faces answered any questions I had about how things were going. It was only one minute, but very much worth it.

Finally, on our way home we drove through Osler. It seems that a childhood friend of mine has taken on the pastoral responsibilities at our old church, Westmount Evangelical Church. Yesterday was the day they were moving from Manitoba to this small town just outside Saskatoon. On a bit of a whim we though we'd drive through town and check if we could see a moving truck.

The first street we turned down, there it was. We drove up behind it in the dusk of the evening, unsure if this was it. Then I saw the familiar form of my old friend. We parked and moved over to where he was as his eyes focused on us, realizing finally who we were. His eyes lit up and he smiled as we hugged. It was so good to see them again. Both Dale and his wife Sheryl have not had an easy time of it lately, and it was good to see them and their moving on with the things of life. We got a quick tour of their home and got back in the van to complete the day.

New friends, two-year-old friends, and thirty year old friends. Each of whom are a great blessing to me. In fact, each is a gift to me. You see, I need them. I need them because they bring Christ to me. They share Christ's interest in me by asking me questions about who I am and what I do. They share Christ's concern for me and ask me how I'm doing. They support me and check up on me as I walk down roads less traveled. They love me, even after many years of not being face to face, they hold me.

I need people in my life exactly because they bring Christ to me in ways I would never ever know if I were busy being alone.

So, thank you to those who are my friends. I love how I grow in Christ through you.

2 comments:

  1. I told Colin that yesterday was what heaven will be like...meeting new people and sharing stories and pretty soon hours have gone by. Meeting you both was a gift to us that touched us both deeply...honest and authentic followers are in short supply. I feel like we got a drink yesterday after a long time of being thirsty.



    I am so grateful to God for this new friendship and look forward to becoming one of those 30 year old friends (even though you're well older than 30...*grin*). You both are already dear to us.



    There is a half a plate of cake left..any takers?



    Christy & Colin

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-)



    Thanks you guys.



    I'll take the cake.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.