Thursday, August 11, 2005

In Praise of Slow

I just went for my last walk here in Broadview. I've been walking a lot in this berg, and that's a good thing. Walking helps towards recovery, and restoration.


I used to walk a lot. I mean a lot.


As a young pastor in Winnipeg, I would walk and pray. I'd pray that I wouldn't blow it. I'd pray for fruitfulness. I prayed for the people I was caring for. I prayed for enough to pay the rent that month. I just prayed, a lot.


But there is something about Broadview that really encourages walking.


Sidewalks, for one. Smooth, unbusy roads to walk on. Interesting things to look at while you walk. People who will drive wide around you if you are walking on the road, and smile, and wave. Tonight two teenage boys rode their bikes past me and both said "Hey". Wow.


Then too, there are not a lot of distractions here that take away time you can use to walk. I mean really, there's just not a lot to do here, except walk, and go for coffee, oh, and get a donut.


So I've been walking, and praying. Eating the occasional donut.


Praying for the kids. For the future. Prayin for you. Prayin about that church that's for sale. Praying.


Tomorrow we head back into the City. Hopefully a bit better.

4 comments:

  1. The main problem I have with living in Prince Albert is that it's too big. Even Broadview would be too big for me.

    Whenever I return to Edmonton for a visit I thank God that I escaped.

    I'd like to have at least 160 acres of elbow room to call my own (just as long as I could get high-speed Internet).



    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm usually quite grateful to God for calling us to Prince Albert and one reason is because of it's size.



    A part of me thinks I might really freak out in a smaller place.



    Yeah, it's nice to visit, but to live??



    I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the absolute first time I have ever heard Prince Albert called "too big." I have always thought of PA as just about the right size, more amenities than YK, it is just unfortunate that from things I hear, violent crime seems to be up there. But I understand Phil wanting more space, I am sure there is a deserted farm out there somewhere for you buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished a drive out to Coquitlam for supper with a cousin. An hour and a bit out and 40 minutes back. Mostly bumper to bumper at 90 to 100Ks. I think I would get an ulcer doing this everyday. But I made it and learned a bit more about navigating the streets of Vancouver.



    I will be glad to get back to a smaller city by the end of my vacation.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.