Saturday, March 26, 2005

Notes on a Holy Saturday

Maundy Thursday evening service has become my favourite service of the year here. It's because of how we share in Communion during the evening. We gather in the candle lit basement for the service, and the bread and juice are centered on a round table in the middle.


When it is time to share at the table these are the "Rules." You must be invited to the table by someone else in the room. They will take you to the table and serve you. You do not have to serve them. You are invited to partake as many times as you are invited. You may invite anyone to the table.


Then stand back as the body of Christ does it's thing.


Everyone is equal at this table. The children serve the adults. The adults serve their children and their children's friends. The adults who have had a difficult year with one another, serve each other. The children serve other children. Husbands serve wives. Pastors are served by eight year olds. It's enough to get me well into the Holy Weekend.


Good Friday service is a city wide kind of service. And based on what I've heard, either you loved it, or, well, "It's Friday but Sunday's a Comin!"


We went home and had some Indian food for lunch and just chilled for the day. That was a nice change. I helped Micah build a webpage, and even had time for a nap!


We watched "The Incredibles" and then "Finding Neverland." Wow. Jonny Depp has come a long way from his 21 Jump Street days. I have really come to respect this guys acting abilities over they years. 


Lauralea and I watched "Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge", a Bollywood love story about two families who are strongly attached to the traditional values of Indian (Punju) culture. Like most of these films, it has a happy ending, but this one also has a good story and amazing scenery. It's considered one of the best ever made. Although I have limited experience in this area, I would agree!


Tonight Lauralea and I and some friends, are headed out for supper and then attending a live Radio Comedy, Madly Off in All Directions. It's a CBC program that we love, and it's recording a live concert here in Prince Albert tonight, for broadcast later on. I'll try to laugh especially loud so you can hear me on the radio. 


And, Tomorrow, Easter Sunday, with many reasons to celebrate, I shall put on my winter gear once again and head out to the place we normally have our sunrise service, (Down by the Riverside...). And I shall stand in a snowdrift, leading many many (ahem, MANY) brave souls in worship of our God remembering and celebrating his defeat over his enemy.


And it will have been a very good weekend indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.