Monday, February 07, 2005

thump-thump, thump-thump, thump-thump,

Just trying to catch my breath this week, from last week and next week...


Well, that was a deep thought! Allow me.


Last week, connecting, learning, traveling to our Midwinter meetings in Chicago. The best part is the connecting. Hanging out with other people who do things like I do, swapping ideas, sharing our stories. It's those stories which usually challenge me more than ever to work at being a more excellent pastor. I always come away feeling more challenged about my faith, and faithfulness.


Then this weekend I'm headed to Calgary for board meetings. It will be work. Focused, hard work, which I'm glad to do if it's the good work, the right work, that needs to be done. And we will connect with staff and faculty, listening to their stories, sharing ours.  Again, listening....


And placed nicely between the two is this Wednesday of Ashes, reminding us that Lent has arrived, already. 40 days of reflection, fasting, and meditation. 40 days in which we make ourselves ready. 40 daily opportunities to listen for God's heartbeat, and adjust our heartbeat to his.


...listening...


I'm trying to listen to God these days about growing opportunities.


Small things to be sure, but small things have ways of growing into bigger things. I need to hear if these are roads I should travel down, or if they are best left alone for now.


Opportunities to grow my skills, which may make my work more fruitful. Opportunities to touch other people's lives, possibly.


I'm busy enough right now, you know? I want to do what I 'm called to do well, not half-hearted. I just need to hear God's heartbeat for me, then respond accordingly.


We do go through seasons don't we. Looks like a season of listening is upon us.

4 comments:

  1. seems to be the season of listening .....seeking, and listening some more

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I want to do what I'm called to do well, not half-hearted. I just need to hear God's heartbeat for me, then respond accordingly."



    Amen to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? You're going to Calgary? Since when?



    nobody tells me anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the club Johanna...

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.