Wednesday, September 08, 2004

The Gift of Time

Somewhere in the middle of this afternoon, I had one of those epiphany things. You know, one of those things where you get clarity on a deep secret of life. Yeah, I had one of those this afternoon.


The epiphany? That one of the greatest gifts you can give another person, is time.


Time.


It's still brings a lump to my throat.



As pastors, so much of our time is spent going and doing, being very busy. This somehow makes us appear important. People need us, we have much to do.


But the greatest gift is to stop our busy-ness and take time to sit with someone. Somehow we validate their humanity by spending time, just being with them.


It's an extravagant gift to be listened to. To have someone say to us I want to spend the next while with you! You honour my words, my thoughts, by sitting and listening to them, by being interested in them. Thank you. Again and again, thank you.


We need to sit and listen more. Much more. We need to shut our cakeholes and be God's ears to his children.


I believe it was Eugene Peterson who said this kind of Pastor appears lazy. But if we are always busy and on the go, people won't talk with us. We need to cultivate the discipline of time and listening ears.


Giving the luxurious gift, of time.


 


I should write a book about this deep insight, maybe produce a video. Then I could take it on the road and bless churches with my idea, "One hour closer to people and God in 30 minutes"


 

3 comments:

  1. That is so true! Forget the "spend quality time with your kids" motto. Kids don't want us to dress up small chunk of quality time with them, they want QUANTITY! Nothing says better that we are loved, you're right.



    At work, at home, in church. And with God. How much time do we get to spend with Him, just sitting being quiet and basking in a pool of thoughts that's concerned with Him as a person and how He feels about things? Or wrestling with theological concepts we have instead of just the reading for the day...



    Time is truly what makes a difference: many who die regret, not spending more time with their work, but their loved ones...







    ReplyDelete
  2. yah. i had a friend who died suddenly this week, and the only thing i wish is that i'd taken the time to pick up the phone and call her before she was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That's motivating.



    Thanx Lyn

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.