Sunday, August 22, 2004

More stuff you probably didn't want to know.

Well, in a very helpful list of the most influential Christians in America (in Church Executive Magazine), I discovered that Rick Warren is a more influential Christian than Bill Hybels!



[8] Rick Warren, Pastor, Saddleback Church, Lake Forest, CA
Rick Warren, who started Saddleback Church in his home, now leads the fastest growing Baptist church in history, with more than 16,000 people in attendance each weekend. While he is best known for his Purpose-Driven model for church health and Pastors.com, Warren made waves in 2002 with his case against the IRS regarding the clergy housing allowance.He has been the most influential person in advancing church growth during the past 10 years. His controversial housing allowance challenge only increased his impact on the American church.


[9] Bill Hybels, Pastor, Willow Creek Community Church, South Barrington, IL
Bill Hybels has developed his own standards for church growth, taking into account the reasons people were unchurched - they did not want to make time, or they felt "guilty" when they left services - and appealing to them in a different, edgier way. His model for church growth has taken on a new resurgence, making this Chicago-based pastor an extremely busy man.He is still competing with Rick Warren for the title of "father of the megachurch in America." As a pastor of a growing church, you either learn from Saddleback or Willow Creek.


Ah, thats my struggle then, "As a pastor of a growing church, you either learn from Saddleback or Willow Creek."


That explains so many of my problems.


Well, at least Billy Graham beat em both out at number 7.


Guess who was number 1.


 

7 comments:

  1. Looks like they didn't include Canada - at least none of our political leaders are on there. Of course we don't separate church and state so religiously either. I wonder who would be on a Canadian list like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting list. I daresay "most influential" doesn't necessarily imply a positive influence, it just simply means that they're seen and heard (although I haven't seen or heard a number of those on the list).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes, the first four alone are nightmarish enough.



    Hurray for a president who invades countries without reason, an attorney general who specializes in taking away Constitutional rights, and two "writers" who are capitalizing on peoples' apocalyptic fears.



    Yuck. Lists like these are so infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rats, I missed the list AGAIN! I know, I know, they can't include everyone -- but year after year all the same people get on the list. And some of them are hardly "evangelical" -- a few are outright heretical! I'm half tempted to move to Canada where I might be more fully appreciated. At least they're nice to me up there. If it weren't for the snow and rain and cold. O, rats, what's an aspiring ambitious evangelical to do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't get over there is even a Church Executive magazine, let alone the frightening list it contained! I still have shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to laugh. Then I wanted to cry. Then I thought, "It's an amazing sign of God's grace and patience that he doesn't just smite us all right here and now." We are not as smart as we think we are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God help America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.