Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The cost of cross cultural missions

We have a cement pad on the lower back part of the church. It's large enough to shoot hoops on, and, skateboard on.


This summer one of the community kids brought a rail and left it out back, so they could practice skating and jumping etc. They were pretty good.


At first I was nervous, about who would come and use it. I was willing for them to use it, if they cared for the space. In fact, I wanted them to have a  good experience with a church. So we didn't scare them off.


Then, one day I came out and saw a hole in the wall. Then another. Then another day I caught a smaller kid, who had attended our children's program, and should know better, sticking something in the Air Conditioning fan blades. I freaked out. I was sure he was gonna get a stick shot back into his eye or something. I hollered. The kid got the message.


Later in the week I found this note which had been posted for the kids to see:



To whom this may concern:


Why have you ------- up this skate spot for us tonight. Why must you disrespect a church that is so rad to let us skate here? By kicking holes in the shed, tearing of shingles and treating this place like a shithole will only get us kicked out for good. Go wreck you own homes not the house of god.


Respect is the key here!


if you have a problem with this...


I am A--- B----. Find me and we will deal with you.


I was surprised by it. I was somewhat surprised that the kids who should have known better, were the one's causing the trouble. I guess there are some in every crowd. I was surprised that the hope that they might have a good experience with a church, maybe paid off.


I was mostly surprised that they thought we were rad.


Now, school has started. The rail is gone. And we'll patch some walls and put up a lick of paint.


Thus ends our summer outreach program for 2004.
Stay tuned for next summer!


 

3 comments:

  1. Saw those holes last night when I dropped off some stuff.

    I thought - Oh No! Now someone will nix the idea of us providing a place for these kids. I'm glad someone wrote that note. I vote we let them stay and play. What are a few holes in the wall?

    Was also thinking that we could really use a garbage barrel around there. Maybe they would have enough respect to try and keep it picked up. We are already less of a messy place than down the road at NSDT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh. I salute the writer of that message, not because he was eloquent and caring with his words, but simply because he had the courage to at least stand up for what he thought was right, respecting the property of others. To him I say, "Rock, rock on."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could learn a few things from those young whipper-snappers.... honesty is so refreshing. Onward and upward Covenant folks........

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.