Wednesday, August 18, 2004

19 and counting

Yesterday wasn't all about blogfest, but it was about being married 19 years to the same person.


Nineteen years ago I proposed marriage to my best friend, in a Burger King in St. Thomas Ontario. Nineteen years gone by. Hard to believe.


So, yesterday we went on a date the likes of which we haven't had for too long a time.


We hit Saskatoon early in the afternoon, heading straight for Broadway. We love the small food stores and used book places. We visited all our favorites; the Bulk Cheese Warehouse, where we found six year old cheddar. McQuarries on Broadway, where we bought two great untried tea's and looked for parts for our Bodum. Then on to The Broadway Roastery where we purchased a pound of Indian coffee.


Halfway down the street we got caught in a sudden downpour and found an awning to shelter ourselves under. We stood together watching the people run back and forth in the pouring rain, and it was fun. No place to rush to, no time to keep pace with, we took the luxury of just being together, watching as life passed by. We laughed and remember the nineteen years. It was good.


After it stopped raining we continued on to the place I had chosen for supper, the Taj Mahal. Now the name sounds a little corny, but (and its a big but!) the food was incredible. We'd never tasted such good Indian cooking. According to "Where To Eat in Canada" they are considered the best Indian restaurant in Canada! Right there in Saskatoon!  It was a meal to remember, and we will, for a long long time.


And this relationship is one to remember too. Not always perfect, or great, but committed you know? Committed to friendship, to laughter, to love together, whatever comes down the pipe.


And that is truly one of the greatest gifts God has given this ol boy.


 

8 comments:

  1. Cute picture - swell glasses!!



    Here's to a great couple and many more good years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was afraid you were going to describe how you took her out to Burger King to celebrate the occasion. I sure breathed a sigh of relief when I read about the Taj Mahal. :-)



    Many more years to your both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! I love that picture of you both.



    Here's to another 19 years of such happiness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah, the pleasures of youth. Congrats to you both.



    I second Brad's comment about Burger King. I just didn't realise you liked English food ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats - sounds like a wonderful day to mark 19 years. Blessings to you for many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve MenshenfriendAugust 19, 2004 at 6:53 AM

    Congrats you two. It sounds like it was a fantastic day. I hope my nineteeth aniversery will be as special. By-the-way ... I love Italian coffee. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to the two of you. Dyann and I will celebrate 19 years of marriage on Sept. 6, so we're right behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. you're such a geek. how'd you get her?

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.