Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Coping Mechanisms?

I don't know if you are familiar with "A Prairie Home Companion" with Garrison Keillor, but I like to listen in as often as I remember it's on. I was reading some letters to Mr. Keillor when I came across this one:



Dear Garrison,
As a Methodist to a Lutheran, I have a pressing question. I work in church communications and one of the things I'm helping folks do is the incorporation of multimedia and digital storytelling into their worship services. Mass communication has changed from oral to written to digital and I'm trying to teach my folks how to do all three. Of course, traditional folks don't care to have a bunch of electronic gadgetry on their holy ground. Any suggestions on how to bridge the gap?


Billy
Dardanelle, Arkansas



Billy,
I have no idea what digital storytelling is ---- do you mean holding up fingers to indicate numbers? Or simply words on a screen? How this fits into the worship service I can't imagine and am not sure I want to find out. There is nothing like sitting and listening to someone with a message in their heart. That isn't old-fashioned, it's just common sense. If the Lord has spoken to you, if Scripture has spoken to you, then you ought to be able to tell the rest of us. Multimedia is for advertising. The church doesn't need advertising, it needs witnessing, and that's ordinary people saying what's in their hearts. Just like I did right now.


 


I kinda like that, you know.


While I'm good with using the tools of the day to communicate the truths of eternity, I am fearful that to often the tools of the day take the place of the truths of eternity.


If the person up there in front of you hasn't experienced the "...good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit,  who has tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come..." then what authority does he speak to you from?


I'm starting to wonder if the thing that "Postmoderns" reject mostly from the modern church is simply the lack of a powerful God. That the God of the Moderns has all the bells and whistles of a god, yet they deny his power.


The church has created programs and personal development series which are designed to help us to know God, at least with our heads, hopefully with our hearts. But doing the heart stuff is difficult work. It Spiritual work.


Waiting on God, anointing in his name, Fasting and seasons of prayer. These are spiritual activities that so much of the western church has been ill equipped to tackle. So, to respond to our lack of Spiritual Power, we try other things that might just do the trick.


Moving to big, splashy presentations can be just another way of coping with our lack of power. Of covering our weaknesses.


Again, I'm all for using the tools of the day to communicate eternal truths. But we're just kidding ourselves if there isn't depth beneath it all. If there aren't the connections to God and the empowering of the Holy One in our lives and churches.



"When they were together for the last time they asked, "Master, are you going to restore the kingdom to Israel now? Is this the time?"
He told them, "You don't get to know the time. Timing is the Father's business. What you'll get is the Holy Spirit. And when the Holy Spirit comes on you, you will be able to be my witnesses in Jerusalem, all over Judea and Samaria, even to the ends of the world."
These were his last words. As they watched, he was taken up and disappeared in a cloud. They stood there, staring into the empty sky.


 



6 comments:

  1. Nicely encapsulated.



    Now this is just my opinion, but I think postmoderns have spotted the 'credibility gap' you describe and tried to hide it by means of clever creative technological strategies. At the same time it provides a platform at which to snipe at the moderns.



    I've hung around what appear to be some of the more determinedly PM sites for the better part of a year, and with some notable exceptions, it's all peripheral stuff. What's being argued about? Not vital stuff like how can God move in power or how he's changed our lives. Nope, it's about sniping at 'moderns', promotion of women, deliberately liberal theology and even some pantheism.



    For me the church has once again divided into 2 halves: the ordinary people witnessing God and those that do the religion thing. This sounds harsh, but rightly or wrongly, that's my perception having conversed with Christians worldwide through this particular medium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Randall. It is tough remember who we are at times. I feel confused by all the techniques that are out there. I'm struck with the realization that I know what it takes to see God's power but the simplicity of it bothers me. I know that simple obedience is it. Reading God's Word and not reading a whole lot into it. All of my most powerful moments with God have been in the context of someone talking about God or someone talking to God (whether me or someone else). It doesn't get much more simple than that. The technical stuff sometimes just distracts us long enough that we don't think about the fact that we haven't actually talked to the one that we confess love to in such a long time. It is a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was beautiful man. i don't get all the twinkle and flash of the modern "church". it all seems like useless fluff to me. sit and listen to the word, stand up and give praises, gather and pray. simple. pure. religion, real true religion, has nothing to do with traditions or programs or gimmicks. it's just supplication and obedience. we don't need to go to the people with the same things that the world brings to them. they don't need multimedia, thats everywhere. they need truth. they need peace. they need honesty. they need God. show people something powerful that they don't have, be they Christian or heathen, and they will come and find a true, pure, Godly religion.



    peace and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there--I enjoy reading your site, Randall. I appreciate your perspective.



    As for this post, well said, everyone. Why do we as a people go to great lengths to avoid facing God and for that matter, our inner lives and connectedness with God? In daily life, so many turn on some kind of media the minute they walk in the door--tv or stereo, to keep the noise going so that they never feel alone. Why must we do this in church? Why don't we seek to be alone and quiet with our Beloved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the quote - helps us to remember who is important. Every blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN, everyone. Thanks for the "back to basics", "bottom line" reminder.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.