Thursday, May 20, 2004

How to die well

Well, it's been a long long day.


The call from Saskatoon came around 4:30 this morning. I knew what it was about before I even got to the phone. Nobody calls at 4:30 am without good reason.


He passed away peacefully in his sleep, which is a huge gift of God, especially for someone with lung cancer.


I got up and made my way the hour and a half drive to Saskatoon and met with my uncles and aunts and parents for the morning, working on the details.


It felt weird, half grandson half pastor. Half "Randy" and half "Pastor Randall."


Uncertain of expectations, I did mostly Randy, with a little bit of Pastor thrown in, when it helped.


It falls to me to preach the sermon at a funeral of a preacher. He asked me to do it, so now I call out to God, the same God he called out to week by week, and I will ask for direction, inspiration, a way to do this well. And He will lead and direct the day and the words.


We were able to arrange for a church that seats 1000. They are nervous that it may be barely enough seats. That gives an idea of the scope of his ministry and life's work.


But in the end, he was just an old man dying of cancer, safe in the hands of God with his family close by. And when you face cancer and death, what more could you want. When it's done, the numbers of people you effected matters little. The amount of cash you have accumulated doesn't matter one dollar. The gifts and talents you have been given and used well, turn old and worn. But, to die, safe in the hands of Jesus, with your family helping send you off, well, that is a blessing indeed.


I got home around suppertime and ate with my family. It was good.


Then tonight I headed out to a Deacon meeting where I heard that someone I've been praying for (who has cancer,) was in the hospital. So I headed up there and spent some time with her and her daughter and prayed with them. She is already unconscious and on her last journey too. I had a good time sharing with her daughter.


So, thanks for your prayers, all of you. You are a blessing to me.


 


... ok I just got a phone call. Grandma's being rushed to the hospital. They think she's had a stroke.


Like I said, thanks for your prayers.


 

6 comments:

  1. Will keep thinking of you all at this time. From what you've written and remembering your earlier posts, I think the decision not to undergo intensive treatment to try to extend life a little more was the correct one.



    It's not a word I often use, but "peace" to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got home. I spent the night with Grandma at the hospital so mom could get a well deserved rest. It turns out that her potasium was very low which could have caused what happened. She also has kidney problems. So hopefully she will be able to go home this morning. She slept but it was a restless sleep, keep praying for her. Im tired and going to go to bed now (6am). Night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had a nice Hallmark card. Sorry for not knowing how to say "sorry" a nicer way. So hard to lose a chunk of your past like that. Hope Grandma will recover. Must be especially hard on her and the children. Don't worry too much about the sermon. God has a way of showing up every time you preach.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.