Saturday, March 06, 2004

Sleep if you can

Over at Randomize, Richard is talking about WiFi in church. A cool idea if I wasn't the pastor and didn't have to be up front!!


He writes:



Every generation must learn how to make the Scriptures and church practices more relevant to believers:


Two years ago, we started hearing of churches with alternative services in coffee-shop-style rooms with smaller crowds, live music, fresh Starbucks, and video presentation of the "normal" sermon.


Ten years ago, the thought of a pretty waterfall photo as the backdrop to song lyrics projected on a 15-foot screen was somehow undignified compared to dead-tree hymnals or lop-sided, blurry transparencies.


Fifteen years ago, a trap set, electric bass, and electric guitar (with distortion!) was bordering on heresy.


Thirty years ago, foosball tables started appearing in youth rooms and "family life centers" (i.e., gymnasiums) started becoming popular.


Fifty years ago, the official church hymnal, a prayer book, the 1797 Authorized Version of the Bible, and the Sunday School circular were the only acceptable things to be found reading.


200 years ago, persons designated "Bobbers" would walk the aisles with a long rod and whack anyone over the head who fell asleep during the sermon.


Nearly 500 years ago, two heretics named Wycliffe and Luther had the odd idea that reading the Scriptures for yourself in your own language should not be verboten.


Two thousand years ago, the man who wrote most of the New Testament droned on so long that a young man in the audience drifted to sleep and fell out a window and down three stories.


I always tell people that if you can sleep while I talk then you probably should be sleeping. Course we don't have any third floor open windows...


 

3 comments:

  1. Would you pray from me to get resurrected if I fell out ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I was playing electric guitar in churches when I was 17 - ohhh, 25 years ago. Was I really so far ahead of my time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worship, being what it was yesterday for me, was pretty close to heaven (well, maybe halfway). Thanks to the "right on" worhsip team and one awesome pastor with words so truthful....... all I could do was smile!!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.