Thursday, March 04, 2004

Our Patron Saint

If I could choose a patron saint for randallfriesen.com, I think I would select Didacus of Cadiz (d. 1801)



Born in Cadiz, Spain, and christened Joseph Francis, the youth spent much of his free time around the Capuchin friars and their church. But his desire to enter the Franciscan Order was delayed because of the difficulty he had with his studies. Finally he was admitted to the novitiate of the Capuchins in Seville as Brother Didacus. He later was ordained a priest and sent out to preach.


His gift of preaching was soon evident. He journeyed tirelessly through the territory of Andalusia of Spain, speaking in small towns and crowded cities. His words were able to touch the minds and hearts of young and old, rich and poor, students and professors. His work in the confessional completed the conversions his words began.


It is said that sometimes when he preached on the love of God he would be elevated above the pulpit. Crowds in village and town squares were entranced by his words and would attempt to tear off pieces of his habit as he passed by.


He died in 1801 at age 58, a holy and revered man. He was beatified in 1894.


Didacus was such a poor student that the Franciscans wouldn´t have him. When Capuchins finally took him into their order and eventually ordained him, he proved to be a powerful preacher?to everyone´s surprise. As we often do, Didacus´s contemporaries expected little from someone with a slow mind. Didacus proved to them that intelligence is not the only measure. The person who has a loving heart, a listening ear and a wealth of compassion is, in the long run, much wiser.


 


Stories like his give me hope. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it didn't matter to him and his calling. He worked hard at loving God and people, and he developed a compassionate heart and listening ear.


I always was a lousy student at school, and I have a great deal of trouble remembering things. But if God can use a guy like that, maybe there is hope for me.


I just gotta stay close to Him.



 


 

2 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed at people who have those brains that just seem to take ideas and concepts, making whole philosophies and such out of them. But I'm not sure I understand what they mean, since my brain, like a slow horse out of the gate, has just started when they have reached the finish line already. When it comes to trying to figure out life with its usual ups and downs, I'd rather have someone who travels more at my speed alongside of me for the journey. Theres a lot to be said for having someone with love and compassion and faith alongside rather than just having someone who you know has raced on ahead somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too become hopeful as school was not my forte! But enjoying and loving folks and hearing their stories is much more fun than learning physics or chemistry or algebra. My old physics teacher died this week......I liked HIM....not the physics and he tried so hard to make it fun for us which made us like him all the more. Here's to you, Lou!!! A more fun teacher there never was!!!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.