Sunday, February 29, 2004

just loaves and fish

This weekend Laura was gone to the ladies/girls/women's retreat. Along with her went a good chunk of the other ladies from church, including the pianist, the organist and the recorder player, over half the worship team.


I'm not too proud to say I was a little afraid, ... ok, alot afraid.


I had Matt on Bass or Electric, whatever we needed, Steve on the Acoustic guitar, who's been playin about a year, and Chris on the drums. They really stepped up and they owned the day. Steve played with a look of terror on his face, Chris hit most of his runs and fill-ins beautifully, and Matt carried the crew.


We worshiped, and He came. He took our meager offerings and fed people with them.


Sometimes its good to be weak and unable, and to know it.


 

2 comments:

  1. I know that feeling of terror too.



    It was my turn to lead worship again this Sunday (seems far too soon since last time). I try not to do it too often, partly because I don't sing well, partly because I'm about the only musician that can carry things for every song (it's just me an a keyboard player ATM anyway). But anyway, I managed to forget until Saturday evening, when putting a new rota together for the team. I was just too tired to go through and sort some songs then - could just pray aout it.



    Sunday morning I'd booked a ride with Ben, and couldn't really cancel, so out we went. Just felt God give me a word off the countryside for the church. Put together a list of songs in way too short a time later on.



    But people worshipped. God was there. Like you say, it's good to be inadequate, because then He can do it instead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard the Newsboy's Peter Furler once comment about their big release concert for "Thrive" CD. He said he felt like he was so concentrating on remembering the notes, words, etc. that he felt he'd not created that feeling of worship enough. After the concert a guy hanging around the concert area came and told him that God showed up. He was unchurched and to him it was obvious. I think sometimes the less we are "in it" the more God can be. It's so cool when it's obvious - Him and not us. Glad you survived the weekend.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.