Saturday, January 31, 2004

The Bison Cafe

Well, here it is, the last night of January. The cold seems to have lifted, but then it began to snow, and snow, and snow. Some 24 hours later, it looks like it may be nearly done. Still, some roads are closed, but it is winter in Saskatchewan, I guess.



Today I spent some time with someone from church at a new coffee place downtown, The Bison Cafe. It's been open about a week and my oh my oh my, sweet!


It's a Swiss/German couple who put it together, and really spent some money on it. Nice tables and chairs. Woodgrain walls and tile floor. And the back will house a very fine looking Gallery.


But I sat there today realizing the many things I missed from the big city. Now, we do love being here, and this city and church is really, usually a great place to be. But sometimes I miss things and this morning was one of those times.


I miss going to professional sports games. I miss little out of the way bistros. I miss seeing people of different colour at the grocery store. I miss Classical or Jazz music on the radio, or sports radio. I miss going to the symphony or the Royal Winnipeg Ballet. I miss the cheap theatre where you could see a movie Tuesday afternoon for a buck fifty. Those kinda things, you know?


Well I think The Bison Cafe is God's reminder that he loves me.


The room was warm and inviting with big windows to see outside, while sitting on very comfortable chairs. The coffee was strong and tasteful, not bitter. The music playing was Pavarotti, and then Duke Ellington, mixed in with Enya and some Vivaldi. That alone was enough to convince me.


But then the owner, a 50 something German gentleman with a greying beard brought over what he called his version of a Sloppy Joe, and would we mind trying it out!


It was a square flat bun with Bison meat and sauce in it and a few pickled hot peppers with melted Camembert cheese oozing out the side. It had been pressed in a sandwich press.


Sigh. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.


I sat there and it really felt like I had stepped through the back of a wardrobe, into another place, another world. Like a small bistro someplace in europe. And I enjoyed it, probably more than I should have!!


But I hope they do well, I hope God blesses them and their hard work.


I'll be back, and maybe next time I'll pull out my grade Ten German skills. "Vie getz frau ________ Trinken Sie einen Kaffee"

1 comment:

  1. That's at least one US president you've surpassed then.



    "Ich bin ein berliner"



    Never fails to amuse me.



    Glad you've found one of 'those' places. They're rare, but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.