Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Oh be quiet

Yesterday was one of those days of Holy Synchronicity.


Early in the morning I had a dream about having lunch with a local pastor whom I haven't talked with in a long, long time. I kinda woke up with a desire to get together with him sometime, just to connect and encourage each other.


Later in the morning, while I was at Tim's for another meeting, I was standing in line to order my coffee when someone tugged at my coat sleeve. I turned around to look into the face of the guy I had dreamt about earlier that day. (Que the Twilight Zone music)


Now, you gotta know that I bump into him about once or twice a year, that's all, so this really caught me sideways. I quickly invited him out to lunch and he was free.


We spent time over lunch, sharing stories, hopes, dreams, and pasta. It was a quick connection for us, and God sat with us.  


We got talking about what each of us does to be rested in our lives. You know, after a busy, tiring stretch of pastoring, or just being with people, what we did to be renewed. Some people renew their energy by being with people, but not us it seemed.


Each of us shared the need for aloneness. Private, quiet space to be alone in.


He told me of how a few years ago, him and his wife had moved out to the country just so they could have a more private quiet space to be in. He enjoys the peace and quiet, and the open spaces they have out there. He's got a shop in which he restores old tractors and such.


It's unfortunate but it feels that most of the world looks on this need for renewal as a weakness. And often those who are more outgoing and gregarious don't get it. But as the more introverted of us derive refreshment from being alone, they gain energy from being with others.


It is very cool how differently we are made.


I think that because my makeup is more sensitive to those around me, when I am with people I'm usually aware of their situation, and needs. This is probably what makes me/us caring pastors, but lousy executives. It's also what tires us out, after a day of being with people.


And I don't begrudge it. I love being with people. I love listening to their stories, sharing their time, walking alongside them. I just need to learn to rest too. To create quiet alone space in my life, as best I can. That will enable me to be a better pastor, but also a better father, husband, friend.
 


Maybe the day was about remembering my limitations, about learning to rest.
Maybe he was just reminding me that he's still here, watching, blessing, loving me.
Maybe he wants me to remember that he used to leave the crowds too, so It's ok if I do it.


 

2 comments:

  1. I for one am glad for your being sensitive, for praying for my sore head when it was paining....and for God taking the pain away...'cause you asked Him........thanks for allowing yourself to be 'used' when needed, so to speak.........enjoy your lunch.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean. People are great and when with them it is good, but there is nothing like being alone and being able to use that time to recharge and to connect with God. I'm hoping for some of this in our prayer week if we can somehow accomplish it even if it is not quite aloneness.

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.