Wednesday, September 10, 2003

What is Worship?

So, what is worship, to you?


Here's a quote from an article. Check out the whole thing here.



Word, Work, Worship ---
Moving Beyond Sunday-Centric Communities

by Mike Bishop and T Freema
n


But what is worship?  After wrestling (with no lack of conflict) with this question for a few months, we decided to perform a few experiments in collaborative worship.  On a Sunday morning in early February, we converged on a small three-bedroom house in an old Lake Worth neighborhood.   Lori, a single woman in our community, had just recently moved in with two other roommates.  The house was probably built in the 50´s or 60´s and had a backyard to match.  It was overgrown with weeds, vines from the neighbor´s yards, and had old lawn equipment and cinder blocks strewn everywhere.  So we arrived, Amber and I with our 18-month-old son Jackson, carrying our weapons of warfare: shovels and rakes, weed-wackers and hedge-clippers, gloves and garden hoes.  Lori and her mom had a pot of coffee brewing and Kim had her delicious coffee cake laid out on the back porch.  Mark, who spends his weekend nights parking cars at a Palm Beach hotel to help support his family, showed up bleak-eyed with his wife Suzanna, two sons Caleb and Silas, and sister-in-law Hope.  Ines, her mother Amanda, and brother Manny, all from the Dominican, arrived just in time to enjoy a simple breakfast on the porch.  This was not a scheduled ?service´, but just a group of friends gathering informally for worship.


To help set the context, after breakfast I read the introduction to Genesis in Peterson´s ?The Message.?  Then I passed the book around the porch and we read the first chapter.  Everyone, even Caleb with his 7-year-old reading skills shining for all to see (and they were quite excellent), read a small part of the Story.  As we began swapping ideas for the yard, it was undeniable what we were there to do ? worship the Creator with shovels, rakes, and clippers. 


Later that afternoon I had a few images stuck in my mind:  Caleb eating oranges on top of Lori's shed with sunlight streaming through the leaves.  Jackson scooping dirt out of an old flowerbed and dumping it all over his shirt.  Mark and T destroying a rogue vine.  Relaxing on the back porch after an impromptu Dominican-style lunch prepared by Ines and Amanda.  Lori's mom telling stories, enjoying the beauty of the day.  And of course, Lori's new back yard.


 


I love this picture. It begins to place real actions on the things we sing and read about on Sunday mornings.


Your turn, what is worship to you?

2 comments:

  1. Worship- going and syringing the medicine down the kids throats myself because I overheard my assistant say she felt very uncomfortable doing it. Doing it because I know she has a hard time doing things that an old mother like me has had enough experience with to do more easily and because I need to be sensitive to her.



    Worship - doing some family visits tonight even though I'm tired. Haven't "seen" Dad and Sharon very much over the past two weeks. And Annette is not feeling well and David is away, so since Kieran is fussy in the evening, I went up for a visit. Not long but Kieran went to sleep and Annette and I got to talk.



    I guess these were worship in the sense of living my life out in response to God's nudging me. But they seem so ordinary. And they sure weren't corporate worship in any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like worship is allowing God to come first in all our actions, words and thoughts - hopefully unconciously - wherever we are. Over the past year I've been working on this "living in His presence" thing, moment by moment. Some times I am purposefully in His presence, other times I'm not but the times in between are becoming closer together. I'm working on it! I think calling "a gathering in someones home to read the Word, eat, clip, hoe and dig" is a new meaning for some to what worhsip is.....so let's continue on in the journey of learning these new concepts - together....our trees need trimming, by the way!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.