Wednesday, September 03, 2003

I love it when He comes to prayer meeting

This morning I hauled myself out of bed around 5:30am to get to our church prayer time. It's called "GateCrashers" but more often than not we're groping around in the early morning fuzziness for God to "Give us a key please," than we are crashing the gates of Hell.


This morning was one of "Those" times. You know what I mean? When "He" arrives and all else moves to the background. All the lists we bring, all the scrapes and bruises we want justice about just seem insignificant when "He" shows up.


He was bringing me to Jeremiah today. Showing me how easy it is for us to worship the little gods. Sacrificing our love for The True God, for little trinket gods, like time. He showed me how the prophets and priests, if they weren't careful, could end up condoning and blessing the little gods that the people worshipped, rather than standing and naming the little gods.


He showed me how He loved me, and how so much of the other stuff is just a distraction from the reality of our love.



"Father, clear away the stuff that clutters my heart. Move out the things that I bow down to, when I want to be bowing only to you. My heart is easily taken captive by shiny sparkling gods, who take my life and worship, and grind me to dust. I want to be whole-hearted, I want to be single-minded about you. I want everything else moved to the background of my life, my heart, and desire only you. For you alone have the words of eternal life. You alone can satisfy the cravings of my spirit. You alone are worthy."



I love it when "He" comes to early morning prayer time.

1 comment:



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.