Monday, July 14, 2003

Another one bites the dust

Well that wedding went well.

 

The groom had the rings, he arrived on time, in a car that worked. The bride was stunning, radiant, composed. The Maid of Honour was a little jittery, we nearly lost her midway through the service, but she held on, bless her heart.

 

The Groom was the most nervous of the whole gang. Just before we went up he asked me to repeat the whole service order because he just went blank, again!

 

We got the whole gang up to the front, after an unsettled nervous silence from the CD player. (It wouldn't play upon request!!) And I led them through the event. It was fun. They were able to concentrate on each other, and that was good.

 

After telling the best man to take the rings out of their boxes before we went up, so he wouldn't drop them up front, I fumbled and nearly dropped them, as I was receiving them.

 

All in all, it was a beautiful day.

 

In a few minutes we're off to the reception. Cocktails at 6 and supper at 7, then a dance to follow. I'm good to go on the cocktails (What kind of a name is that?!?) but, forget about the dancing!! Period.

 

I've got to remember to drop off the papers in the mail on the way out.


5 comments:

  1. Say Randall, do you enjoy weddings, or does the sense of responsibility get to you a bit? I used to do wedding photos (to pay for pro quality gear) and was always a little aware that if things didn't go well then the couple could be more than a little upset.



    So do you relax and have fun or make it an exercise in precision?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit of a freak about weddings and funerals. Funerals are the last "Hurrah" so i want it to go well.

    Weddings are a One Time Event, so I want them to go well too.



    Therefore, I work VERY HARD on these things. I prepare as much in advance as I can. I prepare backups for my backups. During monday's wedding the CD player wouldn't play the song the young sound guy was trying to get to work. I previously instructed another guy that if problems developed with the sound, move to the booth, which he did and we got it back on track quickly.



    I carry mutiple back up pen's in my pocket, along with a set of matches, and a back up set of vows to give the couple if they loose or forget them.



    I'm always thinking ahead. I feel good when it goes well, when there are no distractions to the ministry and presence of God moving in the room.



    I try to pick up the feel of the couple, what kind of people they are and what they want. Yesterdays was a more traditional day, the couple wanted it like that, so I didn't joke alot, just to relieve the tension a bit. I married the grooms brother earlier this year and they were a fun, relaxed couple, wanting that kind of a day, so I was relaxed and joked a bit which seemed well received.



    I do like doing these things. They give me opportunities into people's lives that I rarely get otherwise. This weekend I got to know a guy I've been wanting to get to know better for a long time. It was good.



    ReplyDelete

  3. I wanted to add that in most of the life of the church I work with volunteers who may or may not have the same view of things as I do. So they will do as they like in terms of church direction or goals etc.



    These are some of the only times in the life of the church that I am able to exercise the most direction.



    So it's fulfilling in a way, that I can still see significant moments in the life of a couple and church, moved through so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're ever looking for a secretary at the same time I am looking for a job, let me know. I love to help with weddings! (and I'll mail the paperwork).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet, I hate the paperwork.

    I always forget how to do it and have to relearn it every time!

    ReplyDelete



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.