Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Asleep at the wheels

As you can tell, I haven't been writing much since the weekend. Coming off the weekend I found myself to be very tired, sleep tired to be exact. Three nights of all night partying by our next door neighbours, two days of work, then I let Lauralea crash Sunday afternoon while I kept the house quiet. And crash she did. We saw her around 1:30 and not again till, Oh 5ish. I'm glad she was able to sleep, she really needs it.


But, life continues through the Blogosphere. Leighton Tebay started a simple enough exploration on the Single Life which has developed into a discussion on Calling and life with or without a mate. I do love how these theme's develop and are enhanced by the different voices. Leighton's obviously thought a lot about this. Watch for more.


Darren, over at the Living Room, has just begun what looks like a good series on how we connect to God. He writes:




"The model is pretty simple - and identifies four main ways that people tend to connect with God. We each tend to be strong in at least one area and often are weak in one also. Alan's hypothesis is that to develop in one's spirituality they should be growing in each of the four dimensions."


It looks good, check it out eh? (Look at me, I'm writing in Canadian, eh?)


 


Darryl, at Leading Dying Churches, is challenging me about how we think of the death of a church. As believers we have a good theology of our own personal death, but when it comes to the death of a church, we don't have a lot of good thinking about it. It does too often become a story about keeping a building going, or retaining a paid pastor, than about community, worship, and reaching out. Maybe, (my idea here, don't blame Darryl!) We should plant churches with expiry dates on them. "This church will cease to exist within 10 years of it's start date." It would provide us with a deadline, and, perhaps some motivation to keep focussed. After ten years, have a closing out worship party/celebration thing. Then, new churches could be started, with their own deadlines. Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.