Friday, May 09, 2003

Mother's Day

Speaking as a pastor, cause that's what I am, I gotta say that the days like Mothers Day are just a real BIG pain in the Concordance. I don't know any pastors who look forward to these special days with any enthusiasm.

I'm not interested in Worshipping Mothers (Bless their hearts), so we will worship God, the Father of all mothers. My worship people understand this and agree with me. It's too easy to focus on mother's or fathers or whatever the theme of the day is.

It all worked fine back when we lived in a Modernist nirvana (2. An ideal condition of rest, harmony, stability, or joy). Everyone went to church and everyone had a mom, except those whose mom's had died, and they just remained quiet so as not to be different. You wore a flower, the colour of which meant something in some secret code which I could never get. You wore your spring hat and after church you went to Grandma's house with your relatives and ate chicken and after lunch all the kids lined up outside for their yearly picture. Ahhh yes, what a pastoral setting.

Fast forward a few years. Many kids don't have their mom's and dad's in the same home. Their grandmas raised them from childhood. Some of their mom's treated them so badly, they carry the wounds from years of neglect or abuse. They were birthed and raised to be a friend and buddy to their lonely, love starved mothers. Yeah, happy mothers day.

Then there's those who are trying desperately to have a child, yet can't. Motherhood is not something they will ever experience, and it hurts deep deep inside.

Are there ways to honor our moms without worshipping them? Without hurting the broken? There must be. We at Gateway will be looking for that way this Sunday.


The Mothers Day Grinch.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.