Saturday, May 24, 2003

Early church worship

Hmm, I found an interesting quote here. It's by L. Michael White, the Professor of Classics and Director of the Religious Studies Program University of Texas at Austin. He wrote:


The worship of an early Christian house church probably centered around the dinner table. The term communion actually comes from this experience of the dining fellowship. We also know that all other aspects of worship that we think of as going with early Christian practice probably happened around the dinner table as well. Paul refers to one person having a song and another person bringing a prayer. Everyone is contributing to the banquet whether it's in the form of food or in the form of their piety and worship.

I think I kinda like that idea of church.

No comments:

Post a Comment



Play nice - I will delete anything I don't want associated with this blog and I will delete anonymous comments.